sábado, 6 de octubre de 2012

“Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life”. Burton Hills

What Are You Getting? People can get really hung up on this question of “What am I supposed to do with my life?” When coaching clients approach me with that question, I ask them to consider one that’s far more interesting: “What do you think you would ‘get’ out of knowing what you want to do with your life?” Time and again, the answer comes back to “safety,” and when we dig around a bit with “safety,” we find that at the root of that is “control.” Or–at least–the illusion of control, because control is always an illusion. Aside from our intention and where we place our attention, we really can’t control life. If we acknowledge the root issue of trying to control something that is impossible to control, the entire house of cards starts to fall apart. Whether we know our life path, or whether we don’t, we don’t have any control, either way. I can say that if I had chosen to go to music school, I would have become a professional musician, but the truth is that there’s no way that I could know that. I could just as easily have ended up a programmer, a sommelier, or what I ended up as–a writer, which was what I said I wanted to be as early as the age of 2 or 3, and which is what I have ended up becoming. Yes ... Your Life Speaks: People talk of having a true calling that’s part of an innate nature, something you’re born with, and I can see how that feels true for them. True happiness is priceless. We can’t buy it, and no one can hand it to us. It is part of the human experience, and it comes from within us. We can make ourselves happy or unhappy when no one and nothing else can. That is because we control how we think and how we respond to life. Basically, we make choices every day that determine whether or not we’re going to enjoy our lives and be our best. If we want to be happy, we have to do something about it. Developing a lifestyle of happiness requires work and a great deal of practice. The more we practice happiness, the more natural it will become. The habits are: Perspective; Self Talk; Present Living; Gratitude; Giving; Inner Peace; Purpose; Self Care; Loving Which of these habits do you feel to need to develop more at this time of your life?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.