martes, 10 de abril de 2012

Could You Imagine a World Without Bosses?

Could You Imagine a World Without Bosses?

Before going to tell you about this blog, I share this video that I think will be of interest to all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8SV3oAP5wI&feature=player_embedded

Gary Hamel, is a professor at the London Business School, and he talks about a world without bosses for the new Phoenix Lecture Series. His words are jarring and at first, way out there because from my American worldview working a corporate job, the hierarchy is just how things are and there is no other way to go about it. The business hierarchy is what our economy is fundamentally built upon. You break into the workforce as a bottom feeder, and after years and years of sucking up and smiling, you slowly inch your way up the corporate ladder. Such a system perpetuates only because as you reach that next level, it’s only fair that the fresh-faced recent graduate that has just started at your company yesterday goes through the same b.s. process. Helps build character, right? It sort of reminds me of that Kayak.com commercial I saw on TV about the “morons at the top”.

But Prof. Gary Hamel suggests otherwise. What if there was no hierarchy? What if you only did what you wanted to do and you couldn’t be compelled otherwise? What if the future of the company wasn’t about where the big dogs wanted to take the company, but was a crowd-sourced decision that everyone would be happy with? What if everyone is on the same level and you wouldn’t waste away the prime of your life sorting mail and getting coffee because your voice is as essential as anyone elses? I can barely fathom it myself but if there are companies out there that are as progressive as this, sign me up. As a pragmatist, I don’t see it working. I hope companies out there prove me wrong.

I can’t imagine, but if there are companies out there that are as progressive as this, please tell me. As a pragmatist I am, to this day I don’t see it working.

I hope that companies out there can show me I'm totally wrong.

But I think wrongly, that the positive aspect of this crisis that we are all involved is that of allowing us to move from a paternalistic and protector model, and that frees us from irresponsible not to take our actions to one that allows us to take responsibility each of our own destiny, of wanting to leave the comfort zone and accept that in life the only constant is the change.
V
ote for verbs like: grow, share, collaborate, cooperate, learn, trust, EVOLVE the verb HAVE to BE (albeit annoying, is what assures us that the true and worth is ourself)

I wanted to share with you this blog, my thoughts and above all read to your comments.

Have nice week to all friends!
Lorena

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.